Vintage Photos


The Noxen Theater movie calendar above, which currently hangs in the Wyoming County 
Historical Society in Tunkhannock, shows all the hits playing there in September, 1951.


A sawmill crew, probably in Stull. 
Some are wearing spiked shoes, used to help roll logs.



Tannery Workers

 


An old postcard showing a view of town.  The empty spot on the far right corner of the intersection shows where the Starr Hotel (which burned down) used to stand.
 


A postcard showing a scenic view, probably taken from
Dimmock Hill (dirt road off of Lake Road on the left).

 

Front and back of a post card featuring St. Luke's Lutheran Church.

   

    

At left is a copy of the Noxen Township expenditures from the ledger of John Melvin French, a prominent businessman in the town before it was even called Noxen. The business name is unknown but it may have involved building and repairing homes.  

French was born July 2, 1853 in New York and married Eliza Sickler, born August 1856.  Eliza was the daughter of Ziba Sickler, who laid out the Noxen town plot while it was being formed.  

John and Eliza French had five children.  Their son, Myron (Mike) Everett French, was born August 11, 1888.  In May 1915, he married Dorothy Lillian Jones, who was born November 20, 1899. Besides sharing ownership of a bicycle shop on Kingston Corners from 1915 until 1923, Myron opened up a Harley Davidson motorcycle shop in Scranton.  He lost the business in 1936, during the depression. 

 

 
Standing, from left, Angeline Montayne Jones* and Lavina Montayne
Seated, from left, Margaret Ide, Mary Wright, and Caleb Ide’s mother
 

Standing, from left, Fred Jones, Albert Wright, Tom Wright, and Frank Wright
Seated, from left, Theodre S. (Dory) Jones (holding Blanche Jones), Lavina Montayne, and Caleb Ide
Seated, first row, Edith Jones, William Wright, and Margaret Jones

*Angeline Montayne was born in 1849.  She was the mother of Theodore Jones, born 1872.  His father was William Fredrick Jones born 1849. The Jones family came from Allentown area right after Theodore was born. His mother had to stop along the way to nurse him.

 


This home on Island Road was built by Theodore S. (Dory) Jones.  Despite losing his right hand* in a portable lumbermill in Noxen or Bowmans Creek, he built the home in the 30s with the help of Melvin Hopfer and son-in-law and friends.  Dory had many friends and played in a town band (possibly the fiddle). He made up a song about the Tunkhannock jail and was a jokester and prankster of sorts. He even served as town tax collector for a time.

*The story about the amputation goes as follows:
Dory had stepped on a large leather belt that helped turn the saw blade.  He stumbled head first towards the blade and put out his hand to catch himself.  The blade cut right between his fingers up to his wrist and splintered his wrist bone.  He was rushed to his own home where the doctor amputated his hand and lower forearm right on his own kitchen table with a meat saw.  It is said he drank quite a bit of whiskey to see him through, but he had a few angry words for the doctor, calling him a "swarthy so-and-so."

 


This house in Noxen was built by Captain James French, father of John Melvin French.
It still stands on Tunkhannock Road.

 


This one room school still stands. The ambulance is stored there.
One of the attendees was Dorothy Lillian Jones, wife of Myron (Mike) French.

 
 
Special thanks to Lorraine Hopfer Brelsford for the photos and information on this page.
 

Noxen Home Page l Our Town l Our Neighbors
Contacts & Links l Rattlesnake Roundup l Conservation & Restoration

 

Noxen Community Ambulance Association l Noxen Volunteer Fire Company l Noxen Township  
Monroe Township
l Old Noxen School - Community Center & Library
Train Depot Restoration l Bowman's Creek Watershed Association l Vintage Photos  
United Methodist Church
l Bible Baptist Church l St. Luke's Lutheran Church l Site Map

Site design by Moran Photography and Graphic Design - www.moranpix.com
Contact us at .